EWB-UConn is working with CLiCK (Commercially Licensed Co-operative Kitchen), in Willimantic, CT, on several projects oriented towards long-term sustainability. This project is currently in the application process to become an official EWB-USA local project.
CLiCK seeks to provide education and training to the community in eastern Connecticut regarding culinary arts and nutrition as well as provide a space for local farmers to create value added goods from their own products to sell on a larger market.
The president and founder of CLiCK, Phoebe Godfrey, is a Sociology professor at UConn.
More information about CLiCK, their mission, and background can be found here. CLiCK has recently expanded to larger facility and has asked us to help with several projects in this new space.
CLiCK kitchen in Willimantic
- Design and implement a rain water harvesting system
- Connect this to an irrigation system to water the gardens on CLiCK's property
- Assisted with small renovation projects during remodeling
- Assisted in building on site raised bed garden
- Expand garden by adding 2-3 more beds
- Assist CLiCK in local community projects (such as the Salsa Fest in October, 2015)
Future and Potential Projects:
- Build a path from CLiCK to the nearby Natchaug River
- The path to the river is going to be a staircase because it is a steep incline
- Teach or facilitate STEM oriented classes
- General clean-up and assistance with the project